Things To Do
We are very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful part of the country with so much right on our doorstep. Our local beaches are part of The World Heritage site that is the Jurassic Coast we also have 2 National Parks within easy driving distance; Dartmoor and Exmoor. There are a wealth of picturesque Devonshire villages and Exeter, the county town of Devon, is within an hours drive.
This beach is slightly shelving with pebbles and sand, Charmouth is famous along with Lyme Regis for its fossils
The beaches in Lyme are a mixture of sand and pebbles. It’s most outstanding feature is a delightful 13th century harbour known as the Cobb
Small estuary village with the harbour, ideal for fishing tackle and crabing on the harbour sides.
One mile of pebble beach with a wide esplanade, good for swimming, popular for mackeral fishing of the beach.
Steep pebble beach, in a small sheltered bay. Watch the local fishermen landing their catch and take some fresh fish home for supper.
A long pebble beach below the picturesque village of Branscombe, the beach streches east for about 1 mile to Beer Head Sidmouth. Pebble and sandy beaches with wide esplanade, amenities within easy reach.
Shelley beach Exmouth
At present dogs welcome all year round, a very large expanse of sand and mud. Very tidal with a gentle shelf.
There is a wide variety of Golf Courses in Devon these are our nearest:
- Axe Cliff, Axmouth - tel 01297 21754
- East Devon Golf Club tel 01395 443347
- Honiton Golf Course tel 01404 44422
- Sidmouth Golf Course tel 01395 513451
Rugby fans can see Exeter Chiefs in action, check www.exeterchiefs.co.uk for fixtures.
Walking and Cycling
Both are very popular activities in this area, both can be as relaxing or as challenging as you wish, we are situated on the edge of the Blackdown Hills, very close to the coastal paths and Dartmoor, Exmoor, East Devon Way & Haldon (see below).
Haldon Forest Park
Whether you want a quiet gentle stroll or an exhilarating mountain biking experience, there’s something for you at Haldon Forest Park. 3,500 acres of woodland just fifteen minutes from Exeter. http://www.forestry.gov.uk/haldonforestpark
- Go Ape Tree Top Adventure https://goape.co.uk/treetopadventure
- Segway Trail Tour http://www.go-segway.com/
Shopping & Entertainment
Small independent local shops can be found at Lyme Regis, Beer and Sidmouth. Axminster and Honiton are the local market towns.
Exeter is a large cathedral city with a roman past, it has museums, theatres and many bars and restaurants.
- Beer - interesting galleries and shops.
- Sidmouth - very popular regency town with independent shopping cinema and theatre.
- Honiton - local market town with market days on Tuesday and Saturday , very popular for antique hunting.
- Exeter - the large cathedral city with its roman past has museums, theatres, University and large shopping centre.
Pampering & Leisure
Local Spa’s are available or treat yourselves to an at home Spa Day with Glo Pamper.
Honiton Leisure Centre - gym, swimming pool, badminton and tennis courts.
Popular Childrens Activities & Family Days Out
- Pecorama - Beer
- Seaton Tramway - Seaton
- Childrens indoor play centre - Honiton Play Dome
- Donkey Sanctuary - Salcombe Regis
- Escot Country Adventure - Ottery St Mary
- Bicton Gardens - East Budleigh
- The World of Country Life -Exmouth
- Diggerland - Collumpton
- Crealy Adventure Park - Exeter
- Go Ape - Haldon Hill Exeter
- Axe Valley Wildlife Park
Other Popular Attractions
- Powderham Castle
- Beer Quarry Caves
- The Tunnel, Target Sports, Charmouth
- Lyme Bay Winery
- Fleet Air Museum
- Forde Abbey House and Gardens
- Abbotsbury Swannery
- National Marine Aquarium
- Saddles and Paddles - Enjoy a day seeing Exeters historic quay by bike or canoe, both are available with pubs en route.
National Trust Properties
- A la Ronde - Exmouth
- The Old Bakery, Manor Mill and Forge - Branscombe
- Shute Barton - Shute
- Killerton House - Broadclyst
- Knightshayes Court - Tiverton
Our local farm shop is The Grazing Cow at Offwell. Telephone 01404831114. They can offer a delivery service.
Groceries can be delivered to the door from major supermarkets.
Or treat yourself to some professional in house caterers.
- Proof of the Pudding - by Diana Cornewall-Walker, tel: 01395260095 or 07973460003, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are very lucky in this area to have a wide variety of pubs and restaurants serving good food, this is a small selection of local places.
- The Otter Inn - Weston
- The Tuckers Arms - Dalwood
- The Railway – Honiton
- The Birds Nest – Honiton
- JK's Bistro - Honiton
- The Holt – Honiton
- Hare and Hounds - Sidbury/Honiton road popular carvery pub
- Steamers Restaurant – Beer
- Harbour Inn – Lyme Regis
- Mark Hix Oyster and Fish House -Lyme Regis
- Masons Arms - Branscombe
- The Fountain Head – Branscombe
- River Cottage Canteen – Axminster
- River Cottage HQ – Axminster
Or if you fancy a takeaway, Honiton has a selection of places.
- Bella Pizza - tel: 01404 45426 (can deliver)
- Taste of the Gurkhas (Indian)- tel: 01404 47786
- Chipie - tel: 01404 42383
- Birds Nest (Chinese) - tel: 01404 83131
Taxi and Coach Hire
Parnells Coaches - Honiton, tel: 01404 47502 or 07790 966 667
Millstream Taxis - tel: 0140445825
Horseshoe Taxis - tel: 01404 850800